Hair removal options
Are you looking for the best hair removal options and treatments?
At-home hair removal treatments are convenient, but shaving and lotions don’t provide long-lasting effects. And let’s face it; life’s too short to spend precious moments every few days doing boring tasks like hair removal!
What are the best hair removal options?
The best hair removal treatment depends on your available time and budget – but also the colouring of your hair and skin.
- Waxing: Quick, cheap and provides longer-lasting results than shaving and lotions. Waxing is suitable for all hair and skin colours. (And did you know that *rubywaxx* was the first salon in Auckland to offer Brazilian Waxing?)
- IPL hair removal: Intense pulsed light hair removal (known as IPL for short) provides permanent hair reduction. It is very long lasting, and is the ultimate in hair removal treatments for dark hair and lighter skin tones. Read more about IPL hair removal.
- Electrolysis: Electrolysis is a great option for permanent hair reduction if you’re not a good candidate for IPL. That is, perhaps you have grey hair, blonde hair, or dark skin.
All of these hair removal options are available at *rubywaxx* - and if you’re not sure which is best for you, we’ll gladly point you in the right direction based on your hair, skin, and how much you’d like to spend.
Just contact us for advice from our friendly, qualified team of hair removal specialists.
Is there such a thing as permanent hair removal?
No, there is no such thing as permanent hair removal. Despite so many clinics offering ‘permanent’ hair removal, this is actually impossible to achieve.
To understand why it’s impossible to offer permanent hair removal, you need to know a bit about the life cycle of the hair follicle – the skin organ that produces hair.
About the life cycle of the hair follicle…
The hair follicle has 3 stages in its life cycle:
1. The growth phase (anagen). This is when the hair is actively growing, and how long the phase lasts depends on your genes, hair colour and follicle shape. For head hair, this growth phase typically lasts 2 to 7 years, whereas for eyebrows it lasts from 4 to 7 months. Approximately 20-30% of hair follicles are in their growth phase at any given time. Hair must be in this growth phase for IPL treatments to be effective.
2. The transitional phase (catagen). This is a short transitional phase between the growth phase and resting phase. The hair is cut off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair so it can no longer grow.
3. The resting phase (telogen). The hair does not grow; the follicle is dormant. The dormant phase depends on the type of hair: for scalp hair the resting phase lasts just 3 months, but for eyebrow hair it lasts around 9 months. About 10-15% of hair follicles are in the resting phase at any time, and treatments such as IPL are ineffective at this stage of the life cycle.
Because IPL hair removal only works on hair follicles that are in the growth phase, you can now see why IPL requires a number of treatments to zap hair. You need to wait for the follicles to get into the growth phase. And you never know when a resting follicle will suddenly spring into life – some follicles are dormant for much longer than others.
That’s why you can be hair-free for ages after a course of IPL treatments, and then all of a sudden a hair or two will start growing. Yes, it’s annoying, but that’s just your body doing its thing – and a top-up IPL treatment will zap it away now that it’s in the growth phase.
About hormonal hair in women
One of the annoying things for women as they get older are decreasing oestrogen levels and increasing testosterone levels. The result: hair sprouting from places where you’ve never had hair before, or hair in existing places growing faster and darker. Yikes! In other words, this hormonal hair isn’t like your ‘normal’ hair, it’s wild and crazy hair with a wild and crazy follicle life cycle. For this reason, IPL may not be as long lasting as you’d like it to be. Instead, electrolysis can be a good option for hormonal hair – although it can be expensive on large areas.
An overview of hair removal options at *rubywaxx* Waxing
Professional waxing is quick and efficient and continues to be the #1 hair removal treatment at *rubywaxx*. Here are the Pros and Cons of waxing to help you decide if it’s right for you:
- Works on all hair and skin types.
- All parts of the body and face can be waxed.
- Longer lasting than shaving or hair removal lotions.
- Regrowth is soft.
- Treatment times are very quick.
- There is a brief “ouch” factor – but it’ll be gone by the time you walk out of the *rubywaxx* salon.
- Not as long lasting as IPL hair removal or electrolysis.
What else you should know about waxing at *rubywaxx*
- You have a choice of hot wax or organic strip wax. Organic strip wax is our standard wax, but hot wax is an option for first-timers or people who just prefer it.
- *rubywaxx* was the first salon to offer Brazilian Waxing in Auckland and New Zealand! Business owner Ruby Francis is known as the Brazilian Waxing Queen for good reason. Here’s everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask) about Brazilian Waxing.
- Monthly Brazilian Waxes with organic strip wax come with a 15-minute guarantee – or it’s FREE!
- Here’s where you can find prices for waxing treatments.
IPL hair removal
Intense pulsed light (IPL) zaps away unwanted hair and is the ultimate in hair removal. Here’s where you can see full details of IPL treatments (including FAQs and prices).
- Very effective if you’re a good candidate (i. e. dark hair and pale skin).
- Regrowth is soft and fine.
- All parts of the body can be treated, and most parts of the face (except eyebrows).
- Minimal pain: it feels like someone flicking a rubber band against your skin.
- Treatment times are very quick.
- IPL hair removal used to be expensive but IPL is now affordable.
- Doesn’t work on grey or blonde hair or dark skins.
What else you should know about IPL hair removal at *rubywaxx*:
- Only trained staff operate the IPL machine – you can be assured you’re in good, experienced, safe hands at *rubywaxx*.
- New IPL customers will always receive a free consultation before their first treatment, and we’ll be realistic about what you can expect. You’ll also need to complete a medical questionnaire, as we take your health seriously.
- Here’s where you can see full details of IPL hair removal treatments (including FAQs and prices).
Electrolysis hair removal
For electrolysis hair removal, an electric current is sent down a very fine needle to destroy the root of the hair follicle. Every hair follicle is treated separately.
- Works on all skin and hair types.
- Very effective – especially in situations where IPL isn’t a good solution.
- Can be expensive and time consuming for a large area.
- Many treatments are needed – more than with IPL.
- Bent or misshapen hair follicles are problematic.
What else you should know about electrolysis hair removal at *rubywaxx*:
What about hair removal for men?
Male hair removal is very popular these days. All of the hair removal treatments mentioned here are suitable for men – although most guys are probably a bit too hairy for electrolysis to be a feasible option!
As *rubywaxx* is a hair removal specialist, we treat men as well as women.
The only treatment that we don’t offer men is Brazilians.
But we can remove back hair, chest hair, and any other kind of hair.
How to treat ingrown hairs?
The only downside to hair removal is ingrown hair – and those pesky little bumps can appear anywhere on the body, on both men and women.
The good news is that *rubywaxx* sells a range of ingrown hair treatments, and they work a treat. Tend Skin is the most popular ingrown hair treatment, and ProWax is another goodie. (The latter doesn’t contain tea tree.)
If you’re not sure which ingrown hair treatment is best for your needs, just ask our friendly team and we’ll gladly suggest a suitable product.
Why choose *rubywaxx* as your hair removal specialists?
Here’s why you’ll be happy choosing *rubywaxx* as your hair removal specialists:
- Specialists in hair removal: Hair removal has always been a key part of the business at *rubywaxx*, and our staff are expected to work to very high standards.
- We’re picky: We only use equipment and techniques that work; and we train staff to a high standard. It’s important to us that you enjoy a hair removal experience that’s quick, prompt, effective, and as comfortable as possible.
- Experienced: *rubywaxx* is an experienced beauty therapy business of 17 years (and counting). We’re here for the long-term – and keeping our customers happy is a vital part of that.
- Ruby’s personal guarantee: Treatments are personally guaranteed by Ruby Francis, the owner of *rubywaxx*:
What’s the next step to effective hair removal?
Not sure which hair removal treatment is best for you? If you’re not sure what’s the best hair removal treatment for you, please ask for a free consultation. We’ll be happy to discuss your hair removal needs to give you personalised advice to suit your needs and your budget. Just contact your preferred *rubywaxx* salon in Auckland.