One of the questions the Rubywaxx team gets asked a lot is, “What’s the best thing I can do for my skin in winter?”
Summer skincare is fairly obvious, with sun block use, hydration and deep cleansing at the top of the list.
So what should we be doing in winter?
The very best thing you can do for your skin in winter is IPL skin rejuvenation. And that’s for 3 very good reasons:
- IPL works best on pale, untanned skin. (Yep, there are perks to being pale and pasty at this time of year!)
- You need to limit sun exposure after a treatment (more on that later).
- IPL is a treatment where the skin looks worse before it gets better. That means if you’ve had IPL on your body, at least you can cover up. And if it’s your face that’s being treated – well, at least it’s not party season…
Which skin conditions can you treat with IPL?
What makes IPL such a hero of a treatment is that it can fight so many skin issues:
- Skin texture
- Enlarged pores
- Age spots
- Fine lines
- Facial veins
- Acne scarring
… IPL can deal to all of that.
3 things you might not know about IPL…
1. You need to be gentle with your skin after a treatment
Whilst there’s no actual downtime after an IPL session, you do need to look after your skin a bit.
That means avoiding sun exposure for 2 weeks afterwards… or if that’s not possible, use the best quality sunblock you can. (If you don’t have any, you can buy sun block from us… it’s lovely stuff, that actually feels really nice on your skin.)
Also, avoid exfoliating your skin for 5 days following the treatment.
2. You can have IPL on your body, not just your face
Although IPL is best known as a face treatment, you can treat any part of your body that’s got sun damage and pigmentation problems. For example, you can have IPL on your hands, arms, legs, chest or back.
The only difference with body treatments is that it takes longer for the post-treatment browning to go away. Which brings us to the next point:
3. Your skin will look worse before it looks better
With IPL, it is normal (and, in fact, desirable) to have browning of the skin after a treatment. It starts appearing right away, and will look at its brownest the following morning. The worse the browning is, the more effective your treatment will be.
If you don’t normally wear much make-up, you might want to get a mineral powder foundation to hide the browning. The mineral powder is light and natural, and doesn’t feel thick and gluggy like normal foundation.
The browning on the face takes about a week till it starts fading. It takes longer for the browning on your body to fade: allow about a month. At least in winter you can cover up and the browning on your body won’t be noticeable.
With that in mind, please don’t get IPL before a special event (e.g. a wedding or a holiday). 🙂
Is it worth getting IPL then?
Oh yes, it’s definitely worth having IPL skin rejuvenation. All of the older team members at Rubywaxx have IPL regularly – and for good reason… it WORKS!
We also get a lot of great feedback from our regular customers who’ve fallen in love with IPL.
A Rubywaxx customer’s Before and After photos of her IPL skin rejuvenation treatments:
Before IPL skin rejuvenation:
Two weeks after the first treatment:
The Rubywaxx customer says:
“My pigmentation was really bothering me, as even makeup couldn’t disguise it. I’ve previously tried Aspect peels, and they performed OK, but it was time to try something stronger, and Ruby recommended IPL.
My skin is already looking better after just one IPL treatment – it now looks better without makeup, than beforehand with makeup.
Plus my overall skin texture has improved… just the one treatment has made me look several years younger already. My friends are even asking me what I’ve had done because my skin is looking so much more toned and vibrant. I’m thrilled!”
Note that a series of treatments is recommended for best results: this will be discussed at your Consultation or first appointment.
Summer is a brutal time of year on your skin, with blocked pores causing breakouts, and the sun is very ageing with the dehydration and sum damage it can cause.
- IPL skin rejuvenation is a super-hero skin treatment because it tackles so many issues.
- Winter is the ideal time for IPL, because your skin’s pale, and it’s easy to cover up and keep out of sunlight afterwards.
- Wear sunblock for 2 weeks after IPL, and avoid exfoliating for at least 5 days.
- Your skin will look worse before it gets better, so don’t have IPL before an important event or holiday.
- The post-treatment effects are totally worth it, as IPL is effective on so many skin problems and can make a noticeable difference.
- The improvements after each treatment session are gentle: you’ll need a course of treatments for best results.
PS. IPL hair removal is also great in winter!
All types of IPL are great in winter… it’s a good time to have IPL hair removal, as well as IPL skin rejuvenation. Again, it comes down to the skin being pale, making it ideal for a successful treatment. 🙂
Do you want to know more about IPL?
Contact the friendly team at Rubywaxx for a personalised skincare assessment and recommendations based on your exact needs.